Monday, June 25, 2007

Oy, Google

Oh gosh, oh golly, Google. What hath become of thee?

If you haven't noticed yet, Google has a new home page for you! It's called iGoogle, which sounds strangely reminiscent, to me only probably, of MyYahoo. Funny how that came to me, since my default iGoogle page has news headlines, weather and other assorted junk that I don't have much need for. Guess they want to make MyYahoo redundant, but heck, I've already wasted countless precious minutes adding RSS feeds and backgrounds and other important customizations to my MyYahoo page, and I don't see the point of doing the same with another page.

I guess I'm a purist, but I like the start, no-nonsense old Google.com, with a lot of white space and a big blank box right in the middle, which I can hit with my mouse even at 6AM when my vision is fuzzy and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Fortunately, if you search around a bit you can find a link called "Classic Google" that pulls up a page with the address of http://www.google.com/webhp. Quick, make a shortcut before it disappears. Hey, maybe I can customize my iGoogle to look good ol' Google! Oh, shoot. Now I forgot what I wanted to 'google' in the first place.

No comments: